- Ace Metrix, the video advertising measurement company, used machine learning and natural language processing to try and uncover the emotional patterns that make it more likely for a brand campaign to win an award at the Cannes Lions advertising festival, per a press release made available to Marketing Dive.
- The study found four main emotional clusters exist around a high percentage of winners: universally funny ads, ads that create a sense of confusion, ads that are heartfelt and ads that are driven by storytelling accounted for 7% of winners apiece. Surprisingly, ads that were considered annoying made up 20% of winners, almost matching the combined 21% of the next three categories. Ace Metrix pointed out annoying ads are polarizing with high “hate” scores, but also succeed in grabbing attention. The study said that Cannes-winning ads often don’t have a brand-forward message, either.
- While winning a Cannes Lion is considered by some to be the pinnacle of success in the advertising world, a recent Campaign report citing the Ace Metrix study questions that position. The article noted that branded ads actually reduce the chance of winning an award and that, while it doesn’t hurt to take top honors, the direct benefits are more elusive and might run counter to business goals for advertising a brand.
Ace Metrix’s findings that annoying ads tend to win big at Cannes Lions might shock some marketers but make a lot of sense taking into account some broader branding objectives. Ads that are the most effective, beyond being creative, tend to find a way to embed themselves in consumers’ brains, whether through an ear-wormy jingle, a persistent brand mascot or a memorable stunt. Burger King’s “Connected Whopper” spot from earlier this year, which hijacked users’ Google Home devices without their permission via the “Okay Google” voice command, was deemed by many to be intrusive at the time — it certainly seemed to frustrate Google — but ended up taking home the Grand Prix at Cannes in June.
But perhaps a more interesting takeaway is what Ace Metrix’s findings say about the value of Cannes from a broader industry perspective, as Campaign noted. Agencies are weathering some of their roughest financial waters in years amid CPG ad spending cuts, multiple transparency crises and growing competition from global management consultancies. Leaders at some of the largest agency holding groups including WPP and Publicis Groupe have expressed wariness about the often-exorbitant cost of an event like Cannes Lions at a time when many in the ad space are expected to be tightening their belts.
At the festival this year, Publicis’s Arthur Sadoun, then recently appointed as CEO, announced that all agencies within the company were forbidden from participating in any awards shows for a year — a cost-cutting development that made a big splash and had its share of controversy but was also one that put Cannes players on high alert. Ascential, which owns the festival, established an advisory committee following Sadoun’s initiative to address some hiccups with the show and help safeguard its future.
The Ace Metrix study only reinforces that agencies and brands might have to more carefully consider whether meeting business objectives and winning industry praise are compatible goals going forward.
- ^ a press release (www.acemetrix.com)
- ^ Campaign report (www.campaignlive.com)
- ^ persistent brand mascot (jezebel.com)
- ^ seemed to frustrate Google (www.marketingdive.com)
- ^ Grand Prix at Cannes in June (www.adweek.com)
- ^ global management consultancies (www.marketingdive.com)
- ^ often-exorbitant cost of an event like Cannes Lions (www.marketingdive.com)
- ^ established an advisory committee (Ascential)
Source URL: Read More
The public content above was dynamically discovered – by graded relevancy to this site’s keyword domain name. Such discovery was by systematic attempts to filter for “Creative Commons“ re-use licensing and/or by Press Release distributions. “Source URL” states the content’s owner and/or publisher. When possible, this site references the content above to generate its value-add, the dynamic sentimental analysis below, which allows us to research global sentiments across a multitude of topics related to this site’s specific keyword domain name. Additionally, when possible, this site references the content above to provide on-demand (multilingual) translations and/or to power its “Read Article to Me” feature, which reads the content aloud to visitors. Where applicable, this site also auto-generates a “References” section, which appends the content above by listing all mentioned links. Views expressed in the content above are solely those of the author(s). We do not endorse, offer to sell, promote, recommend, or, otherwise, make any statement about the content above. We reference the content above for your “reading” entertainment purposes only. Review “DMCA & Terms”, at the bottom of this site, for terms of your access and use as well as for applicable DMCA take-down request.
Acquire this Domain
You can acquire this site’s domain name! We have nurtured its online marketing value by systematically curating this site by the domain’s relevant keywords. Explore our content network – you can advertise on each or rent vs. buy the domain. Buy@TLDtraders.com | Skype: TLDtraders | +1 (475) BUY-NAME (289 – 6263). Thousands search by this site’s exact keyword domain name! Most are sent here because search engines often love the keyword. This domain can be your 24/7 lead generator! If you own it, you could capture a large amount of online traffic for your niche. Stop wasting money on ads. Instead, buy this domain to gain a long-term marketing asset. If you can’t afford to buy then you can rent the domain.
We are Internet Investors, Developers, and Franchisers – operating a content network of several thousand sites while federating 100+ eCommerce and SaaS startups. With our proprietary “inverted incubation” model, we leverage a portfolio of $100M in valued domains to impact online trends, traffic, and transactions. We use robotic process automation, machine learning, and other proprietary approaches to power our content network. Contact us to learn how we can help you with your online marketing and/or site maintenance.